All about me !



Born in Puerto Rico; I came to New York; after graduating from from
High School. Enter Kingsborough Community College (bilingual Program)with intent to learn English and accomplish to get 23 credits
in Liberal Arts.

After getting married and having children, when my children enter school, I was very involve in parents, issues. While my children attended school in East New York(District 19th), I became a P.T.A. president. While lobbying for a very overcrowded school; at that time P.S. 7 and
I.S. 171(two school in one small building) I also became a School Board
member. My passion for the children and there well being, let me to work
hard and organized parents to attend meetings and rally. Years latter that hard work pay off with a new building for P.S. 7 in Jamaica Street. I had already move to Long Island when the school was build, but it gives me real satisfaction to know that I was part of the accomplishment.

While living in Long Island, I started working with Home Depot. In order to be able to assist my customers and give them good information, I enroll in few courses of Interior Design at Suffolk Community College. From Sales Associate, I was promoted to Assistant Supervisor and went to help open the very first store in Puerto Rico. I came back to N.Y. when we had open the 2nd store, one in Carolina, P.R. and the other in Bayamon, P.R.
After completing my commitment with Home Depot in Puerto Rico and my passion to work with children, inspired me to come back and open my own, Family Day Care. I Apply for Home Cay care Registration Certification, and were required to complete 30 hours of training. Some of the topics and training classes were on nutrition and health needs for the children, childhood development, safety, security, and other very important issues. After managing the Family Day Care for Four years, circumstances prompt me to sell the house.

In November 28th 2006, I started working for Cypress Hills After School Program, and have the opportunity to once more be able to advance and improve my knowledge with the opportunity offered by The Center for After-School Exellence. Here I am in 2008 at the age of 61 attending York College and once more, as I have done before with my previous task and commitments, I am preparing my self and developing my skills to be able to help the children in our community.


No comments: